Normalising Sobriety

  1. Author: Conor Erb
  2. Date: August 10, 2021

A large part of our culture in the UK is constructed by the consumption of food and drink. This can prove giving up alcohol to be extremely challenging even though becoming sober is a very desirable idea for many people. A recent figure from drink aware UK reveals that 80% of people over the age of 16 years old drink alcohol in the UK, leaving a mere 20% of adults that don’t drink alcohol. This is just 1 in 5 adults.

There are multiple factors which contribute to such a vast volume of adults in the UK consuming alcohol on a regular basis and even outside of social settings. However, one of the leading factors for many people can be the pressure from social environments which result in people drinking alcohol to simply ‘fit in’ with society. This is becoming particularly apparent for teenagers who are absorbing more and more alcohol and hence compromising their livers and health in the process.

There are many things that you can do to avoid crumbling under the immense pressure of drinking in a social environment. One idea is converting to drinking non-alcoholic beverages instead. This allows you to dip into the pleasure of drinking whilst remaining in control of your environment and still feeling swell the next day.

It is immeasurably clear that adults in the UK need to become more accepting of people that don’t want to drink. This October is sober October. It is a month dedicated to switching to alcohol-free alternatives and sometimes involves raising money for a charity. Whilst one month is still a short period of time, it can lead to small changes in your diet which become sustained over time and subsequently leads to a healthier lifestyle. To join in on this month of no alcohol, you can go to

Pourwell is an alcohol-free subscription box which comes with hand-designed recipes to make delicious cocktails. Not only does the subscription box come with snacks, pourwell’s boxes are also vegan and coeliac friendly. These subscription boxes provide all the joys of alcohol minus hangovers and destroying your health.

This site uses cookies to improve your experience. By clicking, you agree to our Privacy Policy.